Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Rule #1 for a Startup - Develop a Sales Strategy

Develop a sales strategy as soon as possible. This is one of the most important things that you can do. I understand that in the beginning startups focus on technology or product development. However, it is never too soon to think about sales.

I was reading the book, Sales Dogs, by Blair Sinclair (www.salesdogs.com). The first thing that I learned is that you can't run a business unless you have some prior sales experience.At first, this caught me off guard; I do not have a sales background. I now do sales for a startup. I quickly understood why this is important. It answers the most important question for any startup - How are you going to make money?

It doesn't matter if your startup develops software, hardware, a new cosmetic, a cleaning service, an electric car, a new pharmaceutical, license your technology, or sell your company. You need to develop and implement a strategy that answers the question - How are you going to make money?

There are many tasks and priorities for a startup. Make sure your sales strategy is one of your top priorities!

No comments: